Skip to content Skip to navigation

Helpful Advice Offered for New UC Merced Applicants

October 23, 2006

Helpful Advice Offered for New UC Merced Applicants

Applying for college can be a stressful process. There are lots of details to consider. But the University of California, Merced, Students First Center and Admissions Office have some advice for people considering attending the newest UC campus.

First, you need to apply. You can do that online by going to

Applications are available now, so start early and save all your information in preparation for submitting your materials during the priority filing period, Nov. 1-30. Visit
http://admissions.ucmerced.eduto get more information, contacts and assistance.

Lisa Perry, Coordinator for the Students First Center, said as prospective UC students, you must do the following:

  • Take your SAT and ACT exams. It is important to register early, because all tests should be completed by December. If you’re not sure when the exams are offered, check out;; and information.

  • Get a copy of your high school transcript. Remember, an unofficial copy is OK. You’ll also need a list of courses in progress and courses planned so you will be ready to answer the questions.
  • Familiarize yourself with the personal statement prompts.
  • Draft your personal statement on a computer so you can easily copy and paste the text into the online application. Make your personal statement a long-term project; plan to go through several drafts to get it just right.
  • There is a $60 application fee. If you need financial assistance for the application, just fill in your family income information where it’s indicated, and you will be considered for a fee waiver.
  • Verify that all the information you entered is correct.

You should also:

  • Review the list of majors and minors available at UC Merced.
  • Visit UC Merced. Come see our campus for yourself. We offer weekday tours throughout the year. Check out our tour page for more information.
  • Don’t forget, the priority filing period is Nov. 1-30.
  • Apply for financial aid, even if you’re not sure you’ll need it. All students who need or think they might need aid must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which will be available online starting Jan. 1.
  • Remember that by completing the UC Undergraduate Application for Admission and Scholarships, you are also applying for scholarships.
  • Contact us directly by calling (866) 270-7301 (toll free in California), or you can send e-mail to