This year's UC Merced United Way campaign was very successful, as the campus raised more than $33,000 — a 15% increase over last year. Below are highlights of the campaign.
Thank You Luncheon
On March 22, 2012, the UC Merced United Way committee held a luncheon for department representatives and board members as a way of saying thank you for their participation. The following individuals won iPod shuffles for their particularization and contribution to the campaign:
- Diane Caton, Physical Planning Design and Construction — most brownies sold (232)
- Holly Werner, Research Administration — donations
- Nidia Hartford, Natural Sciences — department representative
- Sandy Yoshimi, Administrative Operations — departmental meeting holder
Valentine Brownie Grams proved to be popular once again. More than 1,765 brownies were purchased, raising more than $1,800.
Chili Cook-Off and Bread Bake-Off
On Jan. 12, 2012, more than 25 employees participated in the Chili Cook-Off and Bread Bake-Off contest . More than 250 employees sampled the entries, raising more than $800 for the United Way campaign.
- Chili Cook-Off Champion, Judge's Choice — Katie Unruh, associate director for administration, "SPV Unruly 'Bobcat Red' Chicken Chili"
- Bread Bake-Off Champion, Judge's Choice — Jason Martin, operations manager for business and financial services, "Sourdough Bobcat Bread"
- Chili Cook-Off Champion, People's Choice — Kari Mansager, director of the Violence Prevention Program, "Fire in the Bowl" chili
- Bread Bake-Off Champion, People's Choice — Sheryl Ireland and Cindi Deegan, business and financial services, "High Risk Cornbread"
- Peter Howell, Sigma Chi Fraternity
- Scott Hernandez-Jason, University Communications, Chancellor's Office
- Jan Owens, Dining Serivces
- Carmen Chavez, Dining Services
- Telisa Gunter, International Affairs
- Maria Marvilla, Dining Services