Greek System Launches Spring Recruitment
All the benefits of UC Merced's Greek lifewill be showcased during spring recruitment week, Jan. 21 through Feb. 1.
Students can explore the advantages of joining the campus Greek community with events that will let them learn about each fraternityand sorority. Collectively, fraternities and sororities constitute one of the largest student groups on campus. The campus recognizes four fraternities and three sororities, which have more than 185 members total. Membership will continue to grow steadily through recruitment and expansion.
The colonization and expansion of UC Merced's Greek system is student-driven, setting it apart from other campuses. Student leaders pick a fraternity or sorority that matches their values and work with the national organization and university leaders to establish a chapter. The experience supports the university's missionof creating a vibrant campus community, while allowing students to build life skills that will help them beyond college.
We're extremely fortunate that we get to create our fraternity and sorority community from the ground up, said Heather Doshay, assistant director, Office of Student Life. Our community has the chance to break through some of the negative stereotypes Greek life sometime faces by truly living up to our values of leadership, scholarship, service and friendship.
Students considering joining a fraternity or sorority must register online at the Office of Student Life Web siteand attend the week's events.
- Jan. 21 - Meet the Greeks, 2-4 p.m. Bobcat Lair
- Attend a casual information fair where you will meet members from each group and ask questions.
- Jan. 26 - Recruitment Critical Info Kickoff, 5-6 p.m., California Room Learn everything you need to know about recruitment and membership, and decide if Greek life is for you.
- Jan. 27 - Rho Alpha Meet 'n Greet Social, 7-8 p.m., California Room
Rho Alphas - the orientation counselors for fraternity and sorority life - will guide students through the recruitment process. Registered students will learn more about why Greek Life is rewarding while enjoying a free nacho bar.
- Jan. 29 - Spirit Night, 6-10 p.m. During the first night of the formal recruitment process, prospective members can attend an event hosted by each fraternity and sorority.
- Jan. 30 - Philanthropy Day, 3-8 p.m. Attend events for up to three fraternities or sororities and get to know their philanthropic philosophy. The event will feature craft projects for charity, guest speakers and more.
- Jan. 31 - Preference Day, 3-8 p.m. During the final night of formal recruitment, students can compare up to two groups and enjoy free dessert.
- Feb. 1 - Bid Day, 3:30 p.m., California Room Fraternities and sororities will offer bids for membership. All new members will enjoy a special bid day activity with their new organization.
For information about fraternities and sororities, visit
http://studentlife.ucmerced.edu/what-we-do/fraternity-and-sorority-lifeor contact email@example.com.