National Park Connection
The University Closest to Yosemite
Nothing can compare to the Yosemite experience — dramatic rock formations, deep wilderness, rushing waterfalls, rich cultural heritage and amazing wildlife. No university will get you closer to Yosemite than UC Merced, and we're not just talking about drive time; our relationship with the park offers you much more than just the chance to visit.
National Parks Opportunities at UC Merced
Through ongoing research, year-round recreational opportunities, and unique summer programs, UC Merced has developed a multifaceted approach to partnership with the National Parks Service in Yosemite — and students receive a big share of the benefits.
- Sierra Nevada Research Institute — world-class, interdisciplinary research on natural resources in the Sierra Nevada and the adjoining San Joaquin Valley
- Yosemite Leadership Program — internships with the National Parks Service for UC Merced students
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates Program — mentored research for an elite group of students drawn from a nationwide base
- Yosemite Field Station at Wawona — UC Merced's home base in Yosemite National Park
- Memorandum of understanding facilitating research with the National Parks Service and the U.S. Geological Survey
- Outdoor adventures through Campus Recreation and Athletics, including Yosemite expeditions
Sequoia/Kings Canyon Partnership
UC Merced has also built a strong and vital partnership with Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park. There, too, are unique experiences you won't want to miss in a quieter, wilder kind of national park.